SEO is a field that is always changing and growing. Anyone who works in search engine optimisation has to keep up with the latest strategies and trends if they want to make sure that their efforts are going to pay off. Now that we’re already halfway through 2022, it’s time to start thinking about how to build a winning SEO strategy for 2023. It can take a number of months for your SEO activities to start having a real impact on the performance of your website, so it’s never too early to think about what you’re going to do next. Thinking at least a few months ahead is good practice.
So what should you be doing to create an SEO strategy for 2023 with a good chance of success? What should you be doing differently compared to previous years, if anything, and what should you keep doing? This guide will help you to ensure your 2023 SEO strategy will get you the results that you want.
Trends to Pay Attention To
It’s always a good idea to pay attention to the SEO trends that come and go. Most SEO trends aren’t particularly fleeting, which means you’re probably not going to miss out on them if you’re paying attention. However, some of them will start to become less relevant over time due to various reasons, including changes to the way search engines work and consumer behaviour.
These are some of the trends you might want to look out for both this year and next:
- Valuable long-form content – Long-form content often performs much better than shorter content. People are looking for valuable content that can give them in-depth information. Anything under 1,000 words may not captivate your audience anymore.
- Passage ranking – The Google passage ranking update means that content can be understood more easily by the search engine. It’s especially relevant to long-form content, helping to choose more relevant pages for search results.
- Quality link-building – Link-building is still important but it’s essential to focus on the quality of the links and not the quantity.
- Video content – Incorporating video into your SEO strategy can make a big difference in a time when video content performs better than any other type of content. It could help to take your SEO to the next level.
- Look beyond the number one position – Being the top search result on a page may no longer be enough to drive more traffic to your site. Search results pages now have various other elements, including questions and answers, snippets and ads that may get users’ attention first.
- SEO for people – If you haven’t already caught on, make sure your SEO is for people and not for robots. Google’s focus in recent years has been ensuring the right results are chosen to provide value to users and it’s not so easy to just give the algorithm what it wants anymore.
- Optimise images – The optimisation of images is starting to play a bigger role in SEO, so make sure that they are optimised for users with quality, relevant, and alt tags.
Set Your SEO Goals for 2023
Now that you know some of the trends that you should keep in mind, you can start putting together your SEO strategy for 2023. The first thing you need to do is ensure you have relevant goals, which should align with your overall marketing and business goals.
There are multiple goals that you might want to achieve through your SEO marketing. You might want to increase your sales, and you could have further goals of increasing sales for specific products or services. Perhaps you want to increase your web traffic or collect more leads. Whatever your goals are, you should set SEO goals that you can measure so that you can track your progress.
Conduct an SEO Audit
An audit can help you to determine your current position and find out what’s working well and what isn’t. An analysis of how well your SEO is currently performing should give you insights into how to improve and what might need to change. It should highlight what could be missing from your current SEO strategy and whether you’re doing anything that’s no longer relevant.
Use your available data to conduct a thorough SEO audit and determine anything that needs to be fixed or improved, as well as what works well. Look at your traffic, rankings, conversions, sales, and other relevant data.
Updating your keywords is one of the first things that you need to do to create a good SEO strategy. If you have already been working on SEO, you should have some information about how your current keywords are performing. You might not want to change the keywords on your main web pages if they’re performing well, but it’s still wise to look for new keywords that can help you to stay up to date with what your users are searching for.
Beat Your Competitors
Understanding your competitors can help you to create the right content for your SEO strategy. You might start by looking at what’s currently ranking for the keywords that you want to target. This will help you to understand how you can create content that has a different or better approach. Perhaps all of the other ranking pages are currently short-form content and you could create something longer and more in-depth.
Combine SEO Techniques
Using a range of SEO methods is important to achieve success with your SEO strategy. There are various techniques that can be employed, including on-page and off-page SEO, as well as the technical elements of SEO. Working with an SEO agency will help you to put together a comprehensive strategy that covers all of the most important parts of SEO. If you need an SEO agency in Birmingham, Distribute Digital can work with you to ensure your strategy is effective. Get in touch with our team today to talk about your SEO strategy for 2023. Our SEO experts will discuss your goals and how to create a strategy to reach them.